Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Georgia State (according to the New York Times)

After reading the Georgia State material from last week, I was curious to see how it was portrayed in the media. Just like usual, I turned to the New York Times (even though I'm sure there are many other articles I could look into) and found their/Katie Hafner's take on the situation:

Click here for the article.

There are three things that stood out to me:

1. This quote sums up fair use/copyright issues so nicely...
"Indeed, as the printed word is put in digital form, holding onto rights seems to many like climbing up the slippery sides of a glass." (makes sense to me, which leads into my second point!)

2. She ends the article with a quote from a non-profit article repository:
"Sometimes a bit of slack can help us all discover a winning formula." I do think that Georgia State was probably a bit too relaxed with their e-reserves, like not having a password. But, I can't help but think that we make some of these issues complicated for ourselves and each other just by the way we approach them.

3. Hafner raises the profit vs. non-profit question - how much of our "publicly" run universities are tied into for-profit deals, especially when we work through so many corporations to make access to information/research possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment